Japan Box Office: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions Opens at No. 6April 26, 2016 at 12:00 am | Posted in Japanese, The Dark Side of Dimensions, Yu-Gi-Oh! | 2 Comments
Tags: box office, movie
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions debuted at number six this past weekend in Japan on 137 screens, according to ANN. The movie earned 133,010,600 yen (almost $1.2 million) and sold 92,396 tickets over the weekend.
The top 10 movies for the weekend of April 23 through 24 are as follows. (In parentheses are the number of theaters showing the film / number of weeks in theaters.)
- Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (348 / 2)
- Zootopia (347 / Debut)
- Crayon Shin-chan: Fast Asleep! The Large Attack on the Dreaming World! (339 / 2)
- I Am Hero (282 / Debut)
- The Revenant (341 / Debut)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions (137 / Debut)
- Assassination Classroom: Graduation (318 / 5)
- I’ve Always Liked You ~Confession Executive Committee~ (62 / Debut)
- Chihayafuru: The First Verse (297 / 6)
- Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan 2016 (363 / 8)
While some films in Japan do offer promotional items for presales or sales of tickets, Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimension’s ticket sales are perhaps more greatly swayed by these goods because of their marketability and the collector mentality of its fanbase.
When advance ticket sales for the movie began back in December 2015, the film’s distributor Toei saw a record-breaking 88,000 tickets sold. Many buyers were likely only interested in the Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG Blue-Eyes Alternative White Dragon promo card included with the sale, reported Netorabo, since bulk sets of tickets soon made their way to auction websites.
Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG card promotions for the movie continue for tickets purchased in the next four weeks.
- Now through April 29: Gandora X, the Dragon of Ruin
- April 30 through May 6: Lord Gaia the Fierce Knight
- May 7 through 13: Lemon Magician Girl
- May 14 through 20: Mahad the Protector Priest
Will ticket sales stay the course?